Summer is Here! ....But my mind is still on school

Friday, June 1, 2012

Today was my son's last day of school. Actually the last day of public school for him. Next year we are homeschooling. This will be an adventure for us. I think we will be successful and let me tell you why:
*I've always supplemented my son's school curriculum with projects and educational activities at home
*My son has the highest grades in his class
*I love to read and love to learn, which I hope to pass this on to my kids
*We're always doing science
*I love arts and crafts
*I love organization and structure
*More than anyone, I love my children, and I want them to be the best they can be and to succeed

I also have some reason's for feeling justified in pulling my kid from the public school system. We have already encountered bullying this year, twice. My son handled it very well and I am proud of him. But it made an impact on me. Kinda woke me up a little. I do feel really lucky that my son had amazing teachers in public school. I know it isn't always that way, but truly these women gave it there all and you could tell their heart was in it. But I can only imagine how hard it is to teach 32 children at once. One teacher vs 32 kids. Not only that, their budgets keep getting cut. In California, kids only have to go to school 175 days out of the year. That's about 35 weeks. In other states it's about 40. Hmmm... That is quite a difference. I do have some personal reasons for being out of the public school system as well, but they are personal and I believe that everything I've stated is enough.

So to make a long story short, we are entering the wonderful and absolutely crazy and overwhelming world of homeschooling :) And I'm SOOOOOO excited to plan my classroom! I can't even tell you how excited I am. I have ideas popping out of my brain all day long. If you don't homeschool, it's ok, who's to say that you can't incorporate some of these ideas into regular family life? There are some pretty cool idea coming up... like how to get a 8'x4' white board for under $30... that's right, budget friendly too :)

With Love,
Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment