Pumpkin Pie 101 - The Pie Crust

Thursday, September 23, 2010

One of my bakery's most popular items is my pumpkin pie. Pumpkin pie is one of those deserts I wait all year for. Once football season has started I know it won't be too much longer till I can have that first slice of pumpkin pie. I love pumpkin pie! I have wonderful memories of waking up on Thanksgiving morning and eating pumpkin pie while watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Let's face it, pumpkin pie is amazing. And you can make your pumpkin pie even more amazing with a few simple tricks. 


Before I start mixing ingredients I work on the crust. Some of you prefer your own dough and some of you prefer the store bought dough. Either one will work. One suggestion: if you don't make your own crust frequently and don't have a favorite recipe for a crust then save yourself the hassle and just buy the pre-made dough. Also go ahead and spend the extra dollar and buy the name brand one. It tastes good and your guests will never know it's not made from scratch :)


Big Tip #1:
The key to my crust is the leaf design. I use pie crust cutters that leave a leaf pattern and cut out in the dough. 


I punch out about 30 leaves to put on the edge of my crust. After I've laid the dough in the pan I dip my finger in water and run it around the edge of the dough. I lay the leaf cutouts around the edge. Ta- Da! Done. See, I told you it was easy. The key to the design is really the "pie crust cutters." 



Big Tip #2: 
I put the pies in the oven once they are filled at 400 degrees for 10 min. 


Then I turn the temp down to 350 and I put "pie crust shield" on the crust. Pie crust shields are basically large circles of metal that go on your crust and have a big open circle in the middle so your pie can cook without burning your crust. If you do not have these, foil on your crust will prevent your crust from browning too much or burning. I then continue cookie the pies for about 45 min. 


In the next post I'll talk about the filling :)

No comments:

Post a Comment